We tend to focus on the negatives of growing older. But if we can laugh at ourselves, aging is not so bad. Especially considering the alternative.
It’s in our own best interest to concentrate on the positive. As my mother often said when I was a moody teenager, “Nobody likes a sourpuss.”
So here is my list of what’s good about being older.
- We have come to terms with who we are
- We can flaunt our age rather than hide it
- We can pretty much say what we think
- We can be role models and mentors
- We have learned from our mistakes
- We get senior discounts
- People give us seats on a crowded bus
- We nurture only the friendships we value
- We don’t have to negotiate who stays home when the kids get sick
- Although we forget some things, some things are better forgotten
- And perhaps best of all, we have the unconditional love of our grandchildren